The LAS Library School Scholarship aims to support and encourage individuals to attain higher education in the library profession. It provides financial support to an individual for graduate study in a recognised school of library science, leading to an MLS, M.Sc. (Information Studies) or equivalent, who has the potential to have an exceptional career as a librarian. For recognition of library science degrees from overseas, the Council states in the Membership application that all first degrees and post-graduate qualifications that are accredited by the respective library and information professional bodies of Australia, Canada, NZ, UK, and USA are recognised by LAS as professional qualifications for librarians.
S$5,000 to partially cover tuition in a school of library and information science or equivalent.
Selection Criteria and Terms
- Accepted degree candidate, in a graduate school of library and information science, working towards an MLS or its equivalent
- Applicants with, at least, one quarter/semester remaining AFTER scholarship is awarded
- Quality of personal statement (500-1000 words) discussing your interest in librarianship, reasons for applying for the scholarship, career goals, and any other pertinent information you would like the LAS Awards Panel to know about
- Strength of recommendations describing personal character and likelihood of academic and professional success in the library field
- Applicant is a Member of LAS at the time of application
- Applicant is a resident in Singapore
- Successful recipient shall volunteer in the LAS (Council or Committee) for a period of two years. This will start from the date of receipt of the scholarship.
Who is not eligible
- Previous LAS scholarship recipients
- LAS Council Members and their immediate family members
- LAS Awards Panel Members and their relatives
- Recipient of sponsorship/scholarship from any organisation for current studies
- Recipients of LAS Library School Scholarship in the past 5 years.
Please complete and submit the application form along with the required supporting documents to email@example.com. Nominations must be received by 27 February 2023 by 12 PM.
The successful Scholarship recipient will be contacted in March within the awarded year and the funds will be made available soon thereafter. Early submission of the application packet is encouraged to ensure that all parts of the application are included. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. The LAS Awards Panel shall evaluate applications. The selection panel’s decision will be final.
The Scholarship will be presented at an annual LAS event.
Successful recipient shall volunteer in the LAS (Council or Committee) for a period of two years. This will start from the date of receipt of the scholarship