Training for Support Staff
Since the closure of paraprofessional courses at Temasek Polytechnic some years ago there has been no formal avenue for skills development and recognition for support staff in Singapore libraries. More and more support staff undertake responsibilities which are crucial to library operations and yet have few opportunities in relation to external training.
Over the past few years, LAS has participated in the development of Library and Information Industry competency standards as part of the mapping of Singapore Creative Industries under the Workforce Skills Qualification (WSQ) initatives of the Workforce Development Authority (WDA).
LAS WSQ Level 2 Courses
LAS is the Approved Training Organisation (ATO) by WDA and offers the following five WSQ Level 2 Courses:
- Support General Reference and Information Enquiry
- Support Collection Maintenance
- Acquisitions and Serials Work
- Provide Loans and Membership Services
- Support Bibliographic Control
These courses will be useful for
- Individuals who have been working as support staff in library and information organisations but have yet to acquire formal library and information qualifications
- Individuals who are seeking qualification to enter library and information organisations as support staff
The above courses are trained by experienced professional Librarians from various library institutions in Singapore who have also completed the WDA approved Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA), which is a pre-requisite for those who wish to develop, train and assess the programmes in the WSQ framework.
Candidates who are assessed as competent will receive a Statement of Attainment issued by WDA and LAS.
For candidates that have successfully completed all 5 programmes will be eligible to receive a WDA Higher Certificate in Library and Information Services (HCLIS).
Current schedule: 2016
e-Certs for LAS WSQ Courses
Starting from 3 November 2014, electronic certificates (e-Certs) will be issued to trainees who have attended and attained competency in Singapore Workforce Skills Qualifications (WSQ) training modules or have attained full WSQ qualifications. This will replace the current hardcopy certificate issuance process.
Details can be found here