The LAS-Special Libraries Section (SLS) is pleased to announce the formation of a new interest group – the Digital Libraries Group or DLG for short. Whether you are a practitioner or a student interested in digital libraries, come and join the DLG and participate in its regular sharing sessions.
Simply send an email reply to Fang_Chin_Wong@nlb.gov.sg to be registered in the group and to be informed of DLG meetings and special events. Meetings will be held quarterly and will typically include sharing sessions and discussions on digital library developments and issues of interest. Check out further details below:
Digital Libraries Group
Proposed Mission: To create awareness on digital library developments among information professionals within Singapore.
Proposed Scope: Special interest group covering digital library developments including technical and non-technical areas, service delivery, new innovations and services
Proposed Terms of Reference:
- Promote communication, cooperation and networking in the area of digital libraries
- Share information and exchange ideas on digital library developments and related conferences, seminars etc. at regular forums.
- Encourage resource sharing and collaboration in digital library work where feasible.
- Organise digital library related events and programmes.
- Participate in the “Special Libraries Section” in LAS and promote DLG’s interests to a wider audience.
Proposed Scope of Participation:
1. Librarians, IT professionals and other interested parties who want to know more about digital libraries.
2. Librarians, IT and other information professionals engaged in the provision of digital library services.
Possible sharing themes:
• Linked data
• Social media (crowdsourcing)
• Database subscription (models)
• Digital preservation
• Web archiving
• Delivery platform and user interface (including web, mobile devices, etc.)
• Digital rights management
• Web 2.0
• Knowledge organisation systems
o Controlled vocabularies, ontologies
o Standards (DC, JHOVE, LOM, etc.)
• Bibliometrics (citations)
• Change management (marketing, promotions, mindset change, user awareness)
• Encodings and internationalisation
• Topic Maps
• E-Science (data storage)
We look forward to hearing from you.